For January, we read Bitch Planet #1 written by Kelly Sue Deconnick and art by Valentine De Landro. Billed as a”highly-anticipated women-in-prison sci-fi exploitation riff. Think Margaret Atwood meets Inglourious Basterds” we swept up with the buzz and here’s what we thought.
Things we liked
- The cover and the faux ads back page
- 1970s women in prison B movie vibe
- butt kicking inmate (no spoilers!)
Things we didn’t like
- Shock value, the whole issue seemed more shocking than anything else
Random things that caught our attention (for better or worse)
- We all had to re-read the wife-saving pages several times to understand what was happening. Not sure if that was by design.
- We have so many questions by the end of the issue. Maybe not too many but a lot.
Ultimately, we’re looking forward to where this is going and agree to continue our conversation later this after issue 3 or 4. We’re curious to see if the issues that issue 1 raises (fear compliance of both women AND men, for example) really get fleshed out or if they’re just used as attention-grabbing fodder.